Cost Rental Scheme

Cost Rental Scheme

Eligible applicants can apply for Cost Rental homes through approved Housing Bodies, Land Development Agency, and local authorities, paying rent that covers construction, management, and maintenance costs. This long-term, secure rental option allows for flexibility.


What is the Cost Rental Scheme?

Cost Rental housing provides affordable, long-term, secure accommodation for people with a net household income of €66,000 or below in Dublin or €59,000 or below in the rest of the country. The rent is based on the cost of building, managing, and maintaining the homes, and is advertised online by Approved Housing Bodies, LDA, and local authorities.


Am I eligible?

Cost Rental homes are available in Dublin and elsewhere for those with a net household income below €66,000 per annum, no social housing supports, no property ownership, and a suitable household size. The provider, Approved Housing Bodies, and the Land Development Agency assess applications, which are advertised on their website or selected through a lottery if there are more applicants than homes.


How do I apply?

Cost Rental applications can be made through the provider’s website, and applicants must provide proof of ID, address, residency, income, employer reference, bank statements, and landlord reference. If more applicants are selected than available properties, a lottery will be held. Successful applicants pay a deposit of one month’s rent less €50 and sign a Tenancy Agreement. The properties are unfurnished but may include white goods, blinds, flooring, and utilities. The provider will set up all utilities for the applicant.


How much will I pay?

Rent for Cost Rental tenancies is set at least 25% below private market rents, based on 40-year costs. Initial rents are reviewed once every 12 months, with notices providing specific information. Disputes can be brought to the Residential Tenancies Board within 28 days of receiving the rent review notice.


How long can I stay?

Cost Rental tenants are provided by the organization that delivered the home, such as the AHB, LDA, or local authority. They have a tenancy agreement outlining the length of the tenancy and tenant rights. These long-term, affordable options offer the security of tenure after six months, allowing continued rent payments.


What is net household income?

Net household income is calculated by adding the net income for each household member aged 18 and over, deducting income tax, universal social charge, pension-related deductions, and PRSI. Documents needed include Employment Details Summary, payslips, Statement of Liability, and self-employed accounts. Social Welfare Income includes evidence of social insurance, social assistance payments, allowances, and pensions. Income from child benefits, urgent needs payments, career allowances, scholarships, foster care payments, charitable aids, fuel allowances, mobility allowances, living alone allowances, and FÁS schemes.


What documentation will I need to apply?

This will be clearly stated in the advertisement by the Cost Rental provider.  You may not need to upload your documentation at the registration stage, but you should have the following documents ready when you register your interest as there may be a time limit to upload your documents. 

  • Proof of ID for each household member,
  • Proof of address,
  • Proof of residency,
  • Proof of income for all members of the household over 18,
  • Employer reference for all members of the household over 18,
  • Bank statements for all members of the household over 18,
  • Landlord reference for all members of the household over 18. If you have not rented previously, you may be required to provide additional information including a character reference and evidence of a track record of savings or contribution to household expenses.


What size home is considered suitable for my household size?

The following are examples of what size homes may be considered as suitable for various household sizes:

  • One-bed property – suitable for a single person or cohabiting couple.
  • Two-bed property – suitable for two adults or cohabiting couple/lone parent with 1 or more children.
  • Three-bed property – suitable for three adults or cohabiting couple/ lone parent with 2 or more children.
  • Four-bed property – suitable for four adults or cohabiting couple/lone parent with 3 or more children


Available Properties

Cost Rental homes are advertised online by the AHB or LDA, with details on their websites. For more information, visit Clúid Housing, Tuath Housing, Respond, Circle Voluntary Housing Association, and Land Development Agency.


About Author

Related posts